Director of Programs, DRC
Closing date : 24 Jan 2021
Mobile technology is revolutionizing how organizations engage with their end users. More than 96% of the world’s population has access to a mobile phone, meaning it is now possible to reach nearly every single person on the planet. Yet 3 billion people living in emerging markets still lack access to relevant, timely, and engaging information in their local languages, and their voices remain underheard. The organizations that serve them lack the technology and capacity to reach them, and many are unaware of the power of mobile technology to meet their organizational goals.
Viamo connects individuals and organisations using digital technology to make better decisions.
With more than 25 million people reached in 2020 alone, we are well on our way to meeting our goal of reaching 50M people annually by 2023.
About the role
Reporting to the Country Director for DRC, this position will be based in Kinshasa. This position might require up to 20% travel to USAID’s Integrated Health Program (IHP), Breakthrough Action (BA), and additional project sites as needed. Your role is to oversee all of Viamo DRC’s project implementation which currently consists of projects such as IHP/BA (USAID), and Accelere, but will expand as Viamo’s portfolio grows. This will include managing two Program Managers and one Product Manager, providing support, building capacity, ensuring deliverables and reporting requirements are met and Viamo is fully contractually compliant. This position will also support new business development activities including writing proposals, meeting and pitching to potential partners, and developing concept notes and budgets. The Director of Programs is a senior member of the DRC team, and plays a crucial role in supporting the overall mission of Viamo.
- Partner Management
- Provide close assistance to key partners for the effective use of Viamo’s services in the domains of health, health system strengthening, SBC, education and other sectors as they arise
- Monitor stakeholder ICT4D needs according to project objectives and adapt programming and budgets as required
- Inform partners of new services and product improvements
- Solicit and document partner feedback, including needs and expectations to inform the ongoing development of Viamo’s offerings
- Manage Program Managers and provide close coaching and support, ensuring capacity is being developed at all levels
- Project Implementation
- Oversee the establishment of annual work plans and quarterly/monthly deliverables for all projects in the country portfolio in partnership with Viamo’s Program Managers
- Monitor and contribute to the implementation of work plans according to established timelines
- Oversee and complete monthly/quarterly/annual narrative and financial reports (with support from Viamo’s finance team)
- Facilitate product trainings and content development/validation workshops
- Supervise qualitative and quantitative research and other field activities
- Contribute to Viamo DRC’s institutional knowledge by leading the creation of case studies, success stories, impact evaluations, etc.
- Innovation and Service Development
- Propose and pilot new service offerings to include in Viamo’s suite of ICT products
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) to ensure the infrastructure is in place to connect with all mobile phones in DRC
- Troubleshoot with MNO partners and manage financial processes, including overseeing airtime reconciliation for all projects on a monthly basis.
- Document and share lessons learned and best practices with Viamo’s international team across departments
- New Business Development Support
- Support the Country Director in the identification of new business opportunities in-country, track and respond to RFPs, and design high quality scopes of work and budgets.
- Work with partners to design and launch effective mobile engagement projects; this includes building relationships, and supporting the Country Director in co-designing projects and preparing budgets
Key Performance Indicators
- Impact: number of unique listeners and engagements across all products in the country (321, hotline, push messaging, etc.)
- Execution of program deliverables according to the contracts / work-plans
- Revenue: timely and accurate project invoicing according to the schedule set out in the contract
- Partner satisfaction, measured by feedback and Net Promoter Score (NPS) post-project
- Proactive knowledge management of programs, including case studies, program reports submitted, impact stories produced and other collateral as needed.
Team and Reporting Structure
- Reports to Country Director, DRC
- Line manages Program Managers, 321 Product Manager
- Exemplary project management skills and the ability to manage a portfolio of large, complex projects
- Experience managing USAID, FCDO (UKaid), and World Bank funded projects
- Experience working with national and local stakeholders in DRC and/or in the region
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and prioritize, creating and implementing common project management tools such as Gantt charts, work-plans, etc.
- Proven ability to create and manage complex budgets
- Proven ability to work independently; flexibility and willingness to adapt to new tasks as needed
- Good common sense and ability to approach situations and challenges with a creative and open mind
- Bottom line focus and solution-oriented
- Experience in ICT4D and/or mobile technology
- Extreme attention to detail and thoroughness. Nothing gets past you!
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and French
- Experience with direct sales in DRC and a large local network in Kinshasa/Goma/Lubumbashi
- Experience working directly with MNOs
- Communication skills in local languages
How to apply
Apply with a CV and a short cover letter here.